Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

Open to All: 6/25-6/26 MaddogJeeper's Smiley Rock 4x4 Moderate & Camping 2x4 Accessible

Smiley Rock Trail 4x4 Moderate

&

Camping at Potoato Patch Campground 2x4 Accesible

June 25 - 26, 2011

IMG_1399.JPG

"Hey, Smiley Rock has boogers!"

Details: I was trying to edit Maddogjeeper's post in the original trip thread and somehow managed to delete the whole thread. So if you were signed up for this but you're not now, you need to sign up again. Yay! - d

Trip Details Per Dennis:

As George would say; “OK, pilgrims here’s the deal”:

Meet: Maverik Gas Station - Prescott Valley (corner of Hwy. 69 and Fain Rd.)

9:00 AM / Leaving 9:30 AM

To Campground: We’ll drive Fain Rd. to Hwy. 89A then Hwy. 89A to the top of Mingus Mtn. At the top of Mingus we turn left (north) on to a paved road taking us into “Potato Patch Campground”, a U.S.F.S. fee area $14.00 per night; a very nice camping area with vault toilettes. This route to the campground is pavement all the way for any 2X4 wishing to participate and within a short drive to the town of Jerome if you are so inclined.

Trail Info: Smiley Rock Trail is NOT 2X4 friendly. I would rate this trail at 3 to 3.5, not scary but boulder gardens and stream beds that could result in body or under carriage damage to stock rigs. After camp is made we’ll run the trail returning to camp late in the afternoon.

I ran the trail yesterday from top to bottom it is rough but passable, plenty of fire wood (I have a wood cutting permit), and I even saw a herd of Elk. The campground is at about 7,000 feet so it should be nice and cool that time of year.

If there is anyone wanting to head up there Friday night let me know and I’ll meet up with you and show you the way, it’s only about 30 minutes from my place.

Pototo Patch Campground: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/prescott/recreation/camping-day-use-ohv/potato-patch-cg.shtml

Map Directions from Phoenix: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=AZ-101+Loop+W&daddr=%2B34%C2%B0+42'+37.39%22,+-112%C2%B0+9'+4.06%22&hl=en&geocode=FfbOAQIdANxS-Q%3BFXKjEQIdqLVQ-Q&gl=us&mra=ls&sll=33.695209,-111.986561&sspn=0.130397,0.155182&ie=UTF8&z=9

IMG_1393.JPG

Trail Leader

Maddogjeeper

Attending

Number 7 & dzjeepchic

scottL

Miss January w/Chris & Guest

TheKSmith and crew

oldhockyvb

azscout & boys

DigitalDirtMag

hurricane

Gear

Tentative

GOTMTNS

Hey Maddog, I want to come up friday. George:cool::D

OK my Liege, I will lead you to the promised land. :D:cool:

OK my Liege, I will lead you to the promised land. :D:cool:

Sweet! George:cool::D

Hey Maddog, I want to come up friday. George

Yo George, what time are you planning to leave Friday?

Yo George, what time are you planning to leave Friday?

I plan on leaving FH one hour and sventeen minutes after the Market closes. George:cool::D;)

Chris and I and 1 of our friends will be attending, and we will come up Friday night, since it's 30 minutes from our house :). Yay!! I'm so excited to see all you guys!!

added us to the list, we'll be up Friday afternoon sometime.

I'm in, thought I had already signed up for this one

I'm in, thought I had already signed up for this one

Sorry Vern, this is a new thread b/c I accidentally deleted the original. . . I've added you to the list. d :rolleyes: