dzJeepChic

ScottLs 2001 XJ

inspired by number 7's post from a while back; wish i had better photos.

pic is so grainy you cannot see the huge dent on the driver front quarter panel. this vehicle was originally registered in Toms River, NJ for its first 7 years of life. then a mexican family purchased it to move closer to their homeland. it went from a rust and sea salt environment to the arid zone for three months before i got my hands on it in july, 2008.

first time i drove home from "Bueno used cars" it had a mexican flag stashed in the glove box and the interior smelled like a dirty old ashtray. after some polishing, dent removal, R&Ring of rusty worn out suspension and exhaust parts it ended up being a fairly clean jeep with 101,000 miles on the odometer. i'm assuming the original owner installed the remote start on my vehicle much to the dismay of PE Shaw.. sorry Phil:o

on the way home from Bueno i stopped by some dude's who i found selling complete sets of rubicon moab edition wheels on craigslist for $450. jeep had newer wheels and tires before ever making it home for the 1st time. that's when i discovered the front tires rubbing on the inner fenders from being too large and thus the modification saga had officially begun.

kewl, it's always fun to look back at how it all started when your wallet was still full!

last year @ Cinders

Great pics Scott, they grow up fast. George:D

last year @ Cinders

and then this year @ cinders:

P1090521.JPG

As we passed the spot where we had met you exactly one year ago at The Cinders last weekend, I remarked that I think your Jeep is 'The Most Changed in 1 Year'.

Look at it 1 Year Later:

DSCN3884.JPG

d :rolleyes:

Ha! Tiffer beat me to it.

Scott brought over his XJ for me to do some maintenance work for him. The 1st thing I did was replace all the rubber boots on the Currie steering:

DSCN4044.JPG

DSCN4046.JPG

When I was re-installing the steering I noticed one of the ball-joints was hitting the sway-bar mount, so I notched it out a little bit to create more clearance:

DSCN4049.JPG

I noticed the U-joints needed some work, some grease and I marked the cap with paint to moniter cap rotation:

DSCN4050.JPG

DSCN4053.JPG

The next project was to replace the the other (driver side) unit bearing:

DSCN4056.JPG

DSCN4057.JPG

You need a 36mm socket to get the main nut off:

DSCN4058.JPG

DSCN4060.JPG

To get the 3 bolts off the back of the unit bearing you need a 13mm, 12 pt. box end wrench or socket:

DSCN4061.JPG

More

V

V

V

This is the unit bearing I took off, the bearings were dry and loose:

DSCN4063.JPG

I pulled the axle & checked the spline (30 spline, nice!):

DSCN4062.JPG

Project #3 - replace bushings on RE control arms:

DSCN4065.JPG

DSCN4066.JPG

The 4th and final project - replace all 4 shocks, and added heavy-duty bar pins on the front:

DSCN4067.JPG

The front shocks were too short for the lift, so I fabbed up shock-extensions:

DSCN4068.JPG

DSCN4072.JPG

DSCN4073.JPG

I noticed the front tire had a plug so I switched it to the rear:

DSCN4064.JPG

DONE!

DSCN4078.JPG

George :cool:

damn those control arm bushings were wasted! the jeep drives better than the first day i got it now. i've lost MANY rattles and clunks that i used to hear while driving and subsequently worrying over; not anymore! its smooth, quiet, & controlled.. just like a cadillac baby!

thank you George