dzJeepChic

ScottLs 2001 XJ

On 12/5/2020 at 5:23 AM, scottL said:

General Maintenance: cleaned up my TB, intake & sensors.. yuck

63mm of fury.. lucky for me the gasket stayed in 1 piece

intake wasn’t too bad but there was thick dark brown goo around the inside rim

Didn’t get as lucky with the iac housing gasket.. ripped it at the corner. No one sells them so I superglued it back together & got busy cleaning all the sensors 

dirty dirty

Found my Jeep’s firing order after all these years

Clean enough

wash rinse repeat

Not to be a "Debbie Downer", but by far, the bulk of the dirt/gunk buildup that you found inside the intake is the result of poor filtration.  From the tests I ran on a variety of filter types over the years, the OEM paper filter is FAR superior to that chunk of oil-soaked gauze...   YMMV...

• Like 2

On 2/10/2021 at 9:30 PM, ob1jeeper said:

Not to be a "Debbie Downer", but by far, the bulk of the dirt/gunk buildup that you found inside the intake is the result of poor filtration.  From the tests I ran on a variety of filter types over the years, the OEM paper filter is FAR superior to that chunk of oil-soaked gauze...   YMMV...

All good Steve appreciate feedback.

Ps u got me on YMMV fyi btw 

Do you know if they sell conical style oem type filters?

Issue becomes no space for factory filter box with my air compressor mount

rachel dratch television GIF by Saturday Night Live

Edited by scottL

On 2/9/2021 at 4:52 AM, theksmith said:

you NEED this in your life: http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax90047

you can get a new clear body for it and paint it to match your real one exactly!

it's got long arms, reservoir shocks, and no roof-rack - just like yours. even the rock rails and front bumper look a lot like yours - just missing your custom rear bumper! i bet you could trim its plastic fender flares down too.

Cool..do I gotta put it together?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottL said:

Cool..do I gotta put it together?

it's RTR (ready to run), so it's all built but you'd still need a battery and charger. i could lookup what would work for those if you're really interested in getting one.

On 2/16/2021 at 9:21 AM, scottL said:

All good Steve appreciate feedback.

Ps u got me on YMMV fyi btw 

Do you know if they sell conical style oem type filters?

Issue becomes no space for factory filter box with my air compressor mount

rachel dratch television GIF by Saturday Night Live

Scott,

Here is a WIX number for a cellulose (paper) filter that is similar in size to the Gause units such as yours...   WIX filter Part Number:  WA9763

I suspect that if you go here https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/FilterBySize.aspx?catid=1&styleid=1 and search through the list of filters, you may find something that would work with minor, or no modifications to your current intake tubing... ;)

Hope this helps... ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ob1jeeper said:

Scott,

Here is a WIX number for a cellulose (paper) filter that is similar in size to the Gause units such as yours...   WIX filter Part Number:  WA9763

I suspect that if you go here https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/FilterBySize.aspx?catid=1&styleid=1 and search through the list of filters, you may find something that would work with minor, or no modifications to your current intake tubing... ;)

Hope this helps... ;)

Steve, do you have any experience with oil-free synthetic media filters such as the AEM DRYFLOW in comparison to the oil-soaked cotton style?

3 hours ago, theksmith said:

Steve, do you have any experience with oil-free synthetic media filters such as the AEM DRYFLOW in comparison to the oil-soaked cotton style?

Kris,

I do not have any experience with this newer style filter media, as it was not "on the table" for testing/evaluatrion when I was involved in filtration testing.   I will contact some of my friends/former co-workers to see what I can find out about them...   May take me a while to find the correct person for that information, as I've been retired 16 years, and both people and materials have been under constant change since then... ;)

Edited by ob1jeeper
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 6:35 PM, ob1jeeper said:

Scott,

Hope this helps... ;)

thanks ob1 I’ll measure for fitment see what I can find!

Still hard start & rough idle, 250rpm or less. This old Jeep needs love

A2B63289-1565-4B35-92C8-01F0F2F69311.thumb.jpeg.e0f622b02ec4eff5ee09e8489c1c9f95.jpeg

Removed TB again replaced all intake sensors with MOPA units

AAB25120-EBC2-48E9-BE11-3412154C0BE4.thumb.jpeg.8cc843442ecb71d823153df27ad29394.jpeg
4278D6BA-2A51-42F2-B63E-AEB4E71BA6F5.thumb.jpeg.6082f4f9ef1d71acb8d1f019488b5b18.jpeg

replaced o2 sensors

ED4ADBC3-F8B4-41C6-9F50-63681FA55F3E.thumb.jpeg.01cec57e2a9aa9ed03b1330c1ac23daa.jpeg

then bank 2 sensor welded itself to my manifold from constant heat cycles over a decade great..

• Wow 1

..did some horse trading with @Number7 for a new 2.5” manifold back Frankexhaust system & got this replacement flangeless precat pipe from Pacesetter, which are made here in Phoenix Arizona

A0828DCA-F412-4CEC-9F1A-D8C63EFF7B68.thumb.jpeg.3419115aead9f266186bd123d542b32f.jpeg

flange on the previous Walker unit would rub against my driveshaft at full stuff you can see where the yoke made contact nearly smashing a hole in it at one point

FCE17849-7373-4D94-B3E0-B55AF6851C53.thumb.jpeg.8af9a7c3aff25ebb1cb6e46a606ff9b5.jpeg

Fun fact: took me, G & theK 3+ hours to get this 1 bolt off

CC53B234-982A-4BDB-8D17-23601D467389.thumb.jpeg.2865529e244471a26f86c3f9d6f3014b.jpeg

200.gif

• Haha 2