4x4tographer

Hard mounted HAM Radios?

Hi guys! I’ll be the first to admit I know next to nothing about radios (took me years to troubleshoot my CB into submission).

I’ve tried to find a “definitive HAM in the Jeep” article, but there is a lot of confusing stuff out there.

Looking for suggestions on your favorite hard mounted radio options in your vehicle!

Easy to use and easy to install are my hopes!

Thank you!

I have a yaesu 8800 in my TJ. I bought it because most of the people in the club I was in ran it.  It was great that they could give me tech help,etc.  I like that it has a removable face plate with remote mounting.  The actual radio is under my seat, the faceplate and Mike are above the sunvisor. I like the radio, but it has way more bells and whistles than I need.

My advice would be to go with a basic radio unless you expect to get an upper level ham radio license.  4x4ham.com is a sister club to this one.  You might want to ask your question over there.

Also, Dan, one of our members sells mike mounts and other goodies for radios.  I forget his user name, I'm sure someone will chime in with it.

Edit: JeepUnique is the name Dan uses on here.

Edited by Curly
More info
  • Thanks 1

I would stick to a 2m radio (no dual band) to keep it less complex and less expensive.   I would  look at Kenwood, Yaesu, or ICOM radios and avoid the cheap Chinese junk.  https://www.eham.net/reviews/ is good for reviews, but you shoudl definitely go to Ham Radio Outlet on 43rd ave and Peoria......they are super friendly and helpful.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

like gearhead said, the Kenwood, Yaesu, or ICOM are all top radios.

i went with a Kenwood V71A many years ago and haven't had any problems with it at all. I bought it for the remote-mountable faceplate and it was easy to hook up external GPS & TNC module to get it to do APRS. i accidentally fried my APRS module one time and never replaced it. since no-one else hardly ran APRS it was kind of useless (and since I have a SPOT messenger already). 

my Kenwood is a little long in the tooth though, i'd probably buy a newer Yaesu if i was starting over today (some have everything for APRS built-in and other modern fancy features), or i might would roll the dice on the off-brand TYT-9800...

...those cheap brands like Baofeng or TYT can usually also transmit on the GMRS frequencies (if they are dual band), which isn't strictly exactly legal. but, GMRS is becoming really popular since the changes to its regulations a year or 2 ago and having a CB, ham, and GMRS radios all mounted can be a PITA. the Kenwood i mentioned and some of the popular Yaesu dual-banders can have their circuit boards modified easily to transmit in the GMRS frequencies - again, grey area legally, but practically speaking no-one can really tell on the receiving end.

whatever you get, it'll probably have too many functions to ever remember them all - so i highly recommend one of the Nifty mini-manuals which they make for several of the most popular brands/models.

Edited by theksmith
  • Thanks 1

Make sure you buy a good antenna. There is a ham radio shop in Glendale with everything you need

• Thanks 1

I just bought one of these a few months back:

Yaesu FTM-100DR

And I absolutely love it.  Still trying to learn all that it can do.  It's pricey, but worth it.  I have it mounted below the steering column.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all of the advice guys! Gonna try to go for a better antenna first and maybe upgrade when I get a little more into it. 

Thank You So Much GIF by chuber channel

• Like 1

I did that for along time. They make an adapter which allows you to connect a quality antenna to your handheld

• Like 1